Without the support of our membership, we could not have provided the splendid programs and publications that for the past 54 years have highlighted the unique history of our community and area.
We need your continued support to ensure we are able to promote research, collect and present historical materials and disseminate knowledge through publications and programs. The basic membership costs are reasonable—only $20 for an individual and $30 for a family. We also encourage memberships at a higher level of support and gift memberships for your friends and relatives. Memberships make excellent gifts.
We had some exciting programs in 2012:
- Georgia Bellflowers: The Furniture of Henry Eugene Thomas, a lecture by Ashley Callahan accompanied by a gallery tour and reception co-sponsored with the Georgia Museum of Art.
- Athens' Newest Research Treasure: the UGA Special Collections Building. Staff provided an overview of the facility and its collections and a tour of the galleries.
- The World's Smallest Airport, Grady Thrasher discussed the making of his documentary about the Thrasher Brothers Aerial Circus, 1945-1950, and screened the film.
- John Inscoe discussed how the Civil War is understood differently at its Sesquicentennial than it was during its Centennial of 1961-1965 and signed copies of his book The Civil War in Georgia.
Don't miss the excellent programs and developments in store for you in 2013. You are getting a sneak preview of one right now—our new logo. Others include:
- a celebration of Georgia Day with a program on February 10 by Michael Gagnon discussing and signing his new book, Transition to an Industrial South: Athens, Georgia 1830-1870.
- an entirely new web site.
- resumption of the Society's outstanding journal, the Athens Historian.
- renewal of an AHS tradition of field visits, joining Morgan County Landmarks in April to ramble to sites associated with the history of cotton in Morgan County.
Thank you again for being a part of history in Athens. We value your support and look forward to your renewed membership and active participation in our programs for the coming year.
Dues are for the period of one year from sign-up and are available in five categories: