Mission and Purpose
The purposes of the Athens Historical Society are:
1. To discover, collect, and preserve all materials, especially orginal and source materials, pertaining to the history of Athens, Clarke County, adjacent counties and related areas.
2. To disseminate this knowledge for enlightenment of our citizenry through preparing, editing, and publishing historical materials descriptive of Athens and related areas, or sponsoring programs and activities of historical interest.
3. To promote historical research.
4. To promote preservation and perpetuation of historic sites.
5. To bring together those interested in the history of these areas.
6. To promote and stimulate public interest in and appreciation of the history of Athens and related areas, and to develop in every way an understanding of their historical past.